Music is today’s focus of today’s NaBloPoMo prompt. What is my favorite song that gives me energy? Song? Only one?
Yeah right, as if I could pick just one?
I have a bit of a reputation for liking a lot of folksy and “angry chick” music. Yes, I like it. No, it’s not “angry chick” music and even if it is, so what? It’s not the type of music that really gives me my energy. It’s nice to listen to, it’s nice to relax to, it’s nice to scream out the frustration to but, it’s not really always very energetic. To be honest, I haven’t been listening to much of it lately. I’m trying to find something different. Any music recommendations are gladly welcomed!
When it’s time to get moving or tackle a project, there are a few songs that really kick whatever I’m doing into high gear. I will try to limit my list to 10. I know that immediately after pushing the Publish button, I will have another 10 that I should have put on this list of ten. Nevertheless, here we go…
1) Beastie Boys – Sabotage – I think it’s the driving rhythm of the rhymes but it just really gets me going. When this song comes on, I know that stuff is about to get done.
2) Muse – Supermassive Black Hole – Another one – Just can’t explain it. I just feel like I need to do something when this song comes on.
3) U2 – I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For – U2 is probably one of my all-time favorite bands, despite the fact that I have never been to see them live. If anyone would ever like to take me to see U2, please speak up! This song is one of my favorites – always has been, especially when I’m driving. It’s one of those songs that just makes you want to keep driving and climb that highest mountain.
4) Fatboy Slim – Gangster Tripping – This song makes thing move right along. You can’t sit still through any of his mixes but, this one is one of my favorites.
6) Ani DiFranco – Jukebox – Ok – so one “angry chick” singer made the list. This song kicks ass. Besides, someday I’ll be that woman dancing in the kitchen…
7) Dave Matthews Band – Two Step (Live) – The album cut of this song is good but nothing beats this song being played live. Nothing. The energy just flows from every note played. And as the instruments build in the intro, you feel the energy rising in you. Then the lyrics (I am as much into the lyrics as I am the music) are just oozing with positive energy and love.
8) O.A.R. – Crazy Game of Poker – I found O.A.R. a little late in the game but it didn’t matter. Their songs are all awesome. Even better live. This one song is by far one of my favorites by them (maybe second favorite next to Dareh Meyod). This is one of those open all the windows in the car and drive with the music blasting not caring what anyone else thinks kind of songs.
9) Charlie Daniels Band – The Devil Went Down to Georgia – I cannot help but love a song that has a fiddle played like that. I cannot help but feel energized listening to that fiddle burn it up!
10) The B-52’s – Love Shack – “If you see a faded sign at the side of the road/ that says 15 miles to the…” You know you just shouted out the rest of that line. It’s ok. It’s one of those songs, no matter where you are, you have a sudden burst of energy and cannot sit still.
Music is really a great way to get your energy going and ready to conquer anything. What are your go-to songs for getting the energy you need?